Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Jetlag

I normally suffer from minimal jetlag after arriving in a foreign country from the States, so I'm not sure why it's been such a chore to shake it off this time.  Yesterday, I woke up at 1am local time.  This morning, I arose at 3am, so at least things are progressing in the right direction.

Yesterday starting at 1am, I spent 4 hours tossing and turning, my thoughts burning up my energy.  Today, I decided to not fight nature and be productive instead.  I went online (compliments of my grandma's neighbor who hasn't yet wisened to the fact that my mom and I have been pirating his wi-fi.  Thanks "rajaji"; I owe you several), responded to a few e-mails, did some work, finalized some plans, and did some other stuff which I can also describe in vague verbs but will not.  I also provided a 5-course meal to the mosquito that was buzzing around unimpeded until I cranked up the ceiling fan to full blast.

The stillness (ravenous mosquitos and howling, roving packs of stray dogs notwithstanding) of early mornings in India is a beautiful thing and I'm glad that I realized it while I had the chance.  I can't WAIT until the neighbors start clanging pots and pans, the fishwalla comes calling in his nasal voice, and the shopping center 4 blocks away starts piping music.

No comments: